The Director of Human Resources is a key member of the Executive Leadership Team with responsibility for driving key Human Resources best practices and initiatives providing strategic direction and expertise for the full scope of HR functions. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and will develop and execute the HR strategy for the organization.
This senior management position is responsible for ensuring that HR policies, procedures, and practices comply with state and federal law and are consistent with the Agency’s Mission Statement, Core Values, and Service Principles. Provides advice, counsel, and guidance to management and supervisory staff on employment and organizational issues. The goal of the position is to ensure the organization’s long term sustainability by focusing on strategic planning and the preservation and prudent management of its human resources.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Plans, develops and implements strategies for HR management and staff development.
- Partners with the management team to evaluate strategic and organizational needs, and resolve gaps, so as to ensure REACH’s continuation as an effective, capable, and sustainable organization.
- Devises recruitment strategies to find, draw, and retain qualified and talented individuals to join the organization as and when vacancies occur.
- Ensures that an affordable and balanced compensation and benefit package is fairly provided to all eligible employees to drive performance and ensure fair, equitable, and market-based treatment including pay, holidays, leave, insurance, and retirement.
- Ensures an effective onboarding process for all new employees that includes creation, implementation, and monitoring of individual development plans with the goal of ensuring recruits become effective members of the REACH community.
- Leads the implementation of a coherent program of ongoing workforce development through organizational design, communications, and training, facilitation, coaching and mentoring.
- Ensures a fair and effective performance evaluation program so that timely, accurate, consistent, appropriate and helpful evaluations are carried out across the organization at all levels.
- Collaborates with the senior management team in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures and ensures this information is communicated to, and is readily available and accessible to, all employees.
- Identifies and aids in the satisfactory resolution of employee relations issues, while reducing exposure.
- Ensures that all federal and state legal and regulatory requirements for human resource management are met.
- Maintains all HR records and the HRIS including but not limited to employee files, training records and job descriptions; ensures department files and data are properly maintained, secured, tracked, and organized and that desired reports are routinely provided to outside entities and to managers and supervisors as needed for effective decision making.
- Manages and controls the department’s budget.
- Prepares annual Affirmative Action Program, monitors all hiring, promotions and terminations for compliance with AA principles. Reports annually to all federal agencies (EEO-1, VETS-100) regarding employee demographics.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees hiring, corrective action and termination procedures. In so doing, ensures that proper documentation is accurately obtained, completed and maintained.
- Oversees workers’ compensation program.
- Oversees processes required for insurance enrollment and termination through benefit carriers, maintains accurate records, and ensures correct deductions from pay.
- Conducts exit interviews and analyzes data to make recommendations to management based on patterns, trends and other factors.
- Participates in corrective action meetings and provides guidance to supervisors on personnel problems and issues.
- Assists the executive director in investigations relating to employee grievances and harassment allegations.
- Maintains a current level of knowledge on federal and state laws as they relate to employer and employee issues.
- Enforces strict confidentiality as prescribed by agency policy and federal/state law.
- Promotes and maintains a positive professional working relationship with all employees.
- Attends, participates, facilitates and chairs meetings, committees and training as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of personnel practices and employment law.
- Demonstrated leadership and inter-personal skills.
- A strategic and self-aware thinker.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- An excellent facilitator with skills in the management of group processes.
- Ability to objectively give guidance in resolving difficult, emotional, and confidential matters.
- Management and supervisory skills with the ability to lead, motivate, and develop others.
- Proficient in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and other applications.
- Well organized with strong documentation, data management, and time management skills.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
Bachelors or master’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or related field required. PHR/SPHR certification required. Experience in organization providing service to individuals with developmental disabilities preferred. Minimum 5 years’ experience in Human Resources Management at a senior level required.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform sedentary work. Visual acuity necessary to utilize a computer monitor throughout the course of a normal workday. Ability to perform repetitive keyboarding activities and operate general office equipment. Ability to communicate verbally, both in person and over the telephone.
Working Conditions: Work is performed at the REACH office.
This Position Description reflects the best efforts of REACH to describe the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities, or qualifications of the job.